Main Article Content
kidney transplantation; extended-dose-release Tacrolimus; melt-dose Tacrolimus; renal function; tremors; high metabolizer recipients
Tacrolimus (FK506) is the most widely used anti-rejection drug in kidney transplantation, especially its extended release Tacrolimus formulation (ER-Tac, Advagraf), which is used when target blood levels can be difficult to reach in high metabolizer patients. In this retrospective monocentric study, we analyzed the effect of a switch from ER-Tac to LifeCycle Pharma Tacrolimus (LPCT, Envarsus) on the dose/level ratio of FK506 in high metabolizer patients that cannot achieve target blood levels in the first 6 months after transplantation.
We observed a statistically significant improvement in the level to dose ratio after the switch. Renal function remained stable. We also observed a reduction in the development of tremors.
Our data suggest that LPCT can be used in a safer way in high metabolizer kidney transplant recipients.
2. Tremblay S, Nigro V, Weinberg J, Woodle ES, Alloway RR. A steady-state head-to-head pharmacokinetic comparison of all FK-506 (tacrolimus) formulations (ASTCOFF): An open-label, prospective, randomized, two-arm, three-period crossover study. Am J Transplant. 2017 Feb;17(2):432–42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ajt.13935
3. Gaber AO, Alloway RR, Bodziak K, Kaplan B, Bunnapradist S. Conversion from twice-daily tacrolimus capsules to once-daily extended-release tacrolimus (LCPT): A phase 2 trial of stable renal transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2013;96(2):191–7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/TP.0b013e3182962cc1
4. Bunnapradist S, Ciechanowski K, West-Thielke P, Mulgaonkar S, Rostaing L, Vasudev B, et al. Conversion from twice-daily tacrolimus to once-daily extended release tacrolimus (LCPT): The phase III randomized MELT trial. Am J Transplant. 2013;13(3):760–9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ajt.12035
5. Bunnapradist S, Rostaing L, Alloway RR, West-Thielke P, Denny J, Mulgaonkar S, et al. LCPT once-daily extended-release tacrolimus tablets versus twice-daily capsules: A pooled analysis of two phase 3 trials in important de novo and stable kidney transplant recipient subgroups. Transpl Int. 2016;29(5):603–61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/tri.12770
6. Trofe-Clark J, Brennan DC, West-Thielke P, Milone MC, Lim MA, Neubauer R, et al. Results of ASERTAA, a randomized prospective crossover pharmacogenetic study of immediate release tacrolimus versus extended release tacrolimus in African American kidney transplant recipients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2018;71(3):315–26. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2017.07.018
7. Langone A, Steinberg SM, Gedaly R, Chan LK, Shah T, Sethi KD, et al. Switching study of kidney transplant patients with tremor to LCP-TacrO (STRATO): An open-label, multicenter, prospective phase 3b study. Clin Transplant. 2015;29(9):796–805. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ctr.12581